The Family Table is a healing experience for those who struggle with long-standing eating issues and want to enjoy eating more.
Consider this: Our families unwittingly carry life stress to the table. You hear and feel it, and watch it being acted out. We react to this stress by developing a protective response. We are positioned at a place that we don't want to leave because we might not be able to eat 'enough.' We choose to stay and eat, and then dissociate, or "go away," from eating or eat quickly.
These eating habits establish themselves unconsciously, and these eating rhythms and movements continue into the present day. Although unscientific, this is what I have found in 100% of the clients with whom I have applied this modality: It is my contention that our eating patterns establish themselves during our early years, during infancy and even in utero. Patterned eating rhythms can be revealed, and ultimately healed through a mental reset of current lifestyle and desires.
Consider these questions:
- Was there family conflict and arguing during mealtimes?
- Did you eat together as a family?
- Was there physical or verbal abuse at the table?
- Who was drunk?
- Who died (and left the table)?
- Did one or both of your parents show up for meals drunk or on drugs?
- Were you forced to eat foods that you did not like and to "clean your plate"?
- Were you punished for eating or not eating?
- How was food used?
- Who was the food police or dictator?
- What were the topics of conversations discussed at the table? Did someone dominate?
- Were children allowed to speak?
- What was the vibrational tone?
- What was the seating arrangement?
- Where did parents or guardians sit?
- Did your family sit down for meals?
- Who cooked and cleaned up?
- What did you hear at the table?
- Did you feel nourished, fed and cared for?
- Did you feel as if there was never enough food?
The Family Table constellation centers around a table as it was growing up, although the family is not physically present. Family table scenarios are endless in possibility: from competition to starvation to dad's alcoholism and hostile outbursts to irrational family philosophies handed down from generation to generation. A powerful question is also - "Who died or left the table?"
It is through this table experience that patterns of growth are revealed.
Current eating issues parallel childhood stress and strains. You might go 'unconscious' when you eat, meaning you do not realize that you even ate food. You might feel as if there is never enough food or avoid meal times by eating erratically. Some people think of eating and feel sad, and they do not understand why. Some people overeat and can't stop, and don't know why.
This Family Table work is my own design and is done in a one session experience.
Call for your appointment (412.344.2272). Ask to experience Family Table Work.
Return to the table in peace.
Since then, I have been eating better, walking, and am managing my cravings for candy better. I like the My Fitness Pal tool. When I see how much those M&Ms are costing me, I behave better. I am in a much better place this week. I liked writing the letters and writing in my journal. The journal is a place for telling the truth and facing it. I have sat at different place at the table. Each place has different
What do I need? I need to be accountable for what I eat and making better choices. I don't have problems with any other food, just sweets, especially candy. I can deal with this now." Mary Jo, Pgh